Feb 16, 2013

Red velvet cake

So for Valentine's day I decided to make Riki a Red Velvet cake. He loves chocolate and I dislike it so red velvet is always a great in between since it has cocoa but isn't particularly chocolatey tasting. I wanted to make a big statement and i'm pretty sure it worked out that way... the cake is a little too much for us to handle!

Please come over and grab a slice!


While I've made tons of cupcakes before this was by far my largest baking project yet. This was my first time venturing into the world of multi-layered cakes so I excited but a little nervous at first. I was very pleased with the result, the cake looked great and tasted awesome. I confess I did mess up a little though... ended up mixing cake & frosting bits when frosting in between layers. Next time I'll be a little more careful on that end. 

Our dilemma now is eating this thing. Don't get me wrong, I love cake and Riki loves cake but I just don't think it's physically possible for us to eat the whole thing... it's a monster. We have a 3-layer cake on our hands and it's just us two in the apartment - I think I got a little carried away on this one :) 



I made the cake from a recipe on Life is great that was adapted from Magnolia Bakery's cookbook:  The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery then topped the cake with my traditional cream cheese frosting and some sliced strawberries.

No comments:

Blogging tips